This drug is prescribed when there are long-lasting withdrawal symptoms associated with drug and alcohol detox such as insomnia, restlessness, and anxiety. Advantages of acamprosate include that it:
- Helps normalize brain activity.
- Decreases cravings for alcohol.
- Can be taken by those with liver damage.
- Doesn’t have potential for abuse or dependence.
Disadvantages of acamprosate are that it:
- Has side effects including muscle weakness, nausea, stomach cramps, dizziness, headache, and itchiness.
- Shouldn’t be taken by people who have kidney problems.